Sunday, January 18, 2009

Chicken Scratch

I'm lucky to work with a handful of docs who for the most part are great people, teachers and coworkers. But their writing is God-awful. It hurts my spirit to see orders written in a script that would shame a 5 year old. Getting past irritation, poor penmanship causes delays (because a bunch of nurses are either hunched over a chart trying to decipher the hieroglyphics on this page or looking for the doc to clarify the orders) and can be dangerous (reading the dose wrong, misinterpreting the name of a drug, etc). What kills me is when the docs get ANNOYED at me for asking them to clarify their writing! What a scam! Maybe I'll leave a large note at every nursing station stating, 'WRITE LEGIBLY OR PREPARE TO HAVE YOUR PENS STOLEN'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. That's so fucking true. Not so long ago, my friends and I thought twill be an excellent idea if some rule was implemented that would force doctors to type out their orders instead of scribbling chicken shit on a paper!!