Saturday, May 30, 2009

Services that are Pissing me off!*




1) Gyne
I was working the gyne area and almost each and every one of my patients got referred to them. The new batch of gyne residents SUCK! They’re rude, they NEVER answer their pages unless you threaten them with bodily harm and they leave their patients hanging for hours. When they finally get down to the ER, they held up all 5 of my assessment rooms while the pile of charts at triage kept building up. One lady in particular was kept waiting for 17 hours – did I mention that she was an IDDM and was kept NPO for no reason?? The ER staff doc got so pissed at the whole sham that he just referred her to outpatient services and wrote her a script for some percs.

2) Internal Medicine
The senior is a mean BEEYOTCH! She’s mean to the patients, she’s meant to the nurses, and she’s mean to other doctors. On top of that, she took a chart from the nursing station, took it apart and left the pieces on the FLOOR on the other side of the department. I wasted half of my shift looking for that damn chart. When I called her about the chart, she yelled at me for wasting her time and then hung up on me. I was forced to be just as mean to her underlings and make them stay within my range of vision with the chart.

3) General Surgery
They NEVER pass along their patients to another service or discharge them when they’re finished with their assessments. I end up making a thousand calls just to figure out what the eff they want to do with the patient. Meanwhile the patients and their families hover over my head glaring and bitching at me.

*I'm waiting for the new batch of residents and students to take over so the staff with the nasty attitudes can get out of my hair.

2 comments:

One Nurse said...

I don't do ER but I have to agree. . . we also have some very mean, erogant, power hungry and nurse hating residents right now! The new batch should be coming shortly. We nurses are going to have to get together and learn how to train them better!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Not right.

These residents often have such a chip on their shoulder.

I will NEVER understand doctors who intentionally have head-up-ass attitudes and acrimonious relationships with other health care professionals. This is, allegedly, a team sport, and the only ones who lose in this situation are the patients.