- Hanging up a bag of D10W on a hyperglycemic patient (I let out a miniature scream of horror when I realized that was not NS and nearly ripped the lock out of the guy
- Forgetting to inflate the balloon of a foley catheter on a patient who was VERY agitated
- Confusing ceftriaxone for cefazolin (and being absolutely convinced that Ancef was ceftriaxone)
- Not keeping IV diazepam on me when I was taking care of a post-ictal patient – who seized at the precise moment when I realized that I didn’t have diazepam with me
- Arguing extensively with a drunk guy about the merits of IV fluids
- Forgetting to give gravol with a massive dose of morphine – I console myself with the thought that puking probably hurt less than it would have without the morphine :S
- Drawing blood cultures AFTER two rounds of antibiotics infused. Fuck.
- Leaving the IV tubing clamped on a bag of stemetil
- Being exceptionally pleased with myself when a bag of NS infused really well only to realize that the patient had ripped out the lock and the bag infused into his sheets.
- Forgetting to leave the call bell near a patient who received a massive tap water enema – I literally walked into a room where shit hit the proverbial fan
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Stupid Crap I’ve Done and Not Been Fired For
This is my 6th month of being a nurse so in lieu of my 6 month anniversary, I thought I would think back to all the dumb crap I’ve done and thank my lucky stars that I haven’t been fired and labeled a danger to the public. Here it goes in no particular order: