Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Call me Nurse Muskels

In yet another night, my shoulders were aching from the crushing weight of self-loathing for having picked up an extra shift. I was assigned to the resus room but since my partner and I didn’t have any patients, we were helping out in the rest of the department. Just as I was frantically ripping off my sweat soaked gown from an isolation room, another patient looking worried told me that he saw the guy in the room next to him downing a large bottle of pills. “FML” I thought to myself as I walked away from the piping hot cup of green tea with just the right amount of honey in it and walked over to the room. Sure enough, the guy had downed at least three-quarters of a bottle of gravol. I asked him why he took all that gravol, he said that he was nauseated! “F F F FML” I thought once again as I called the doctor and charge nurse to have him moved into a monitored bed (ie: a resus bed because that’s all that was left). I had finished hooking him up to the cardiac monitor and was drawing up some valium for the seizures I knew he’d have (because such is my luck) when he got all twitchy and said that he had to pee. I gave him a urinal but he said that he also had to do a number 2 and climbed mighty fast out of the stretcher. I wasn’t about to fight with a 270 lb, 6”7’ man so I put on my sweetest voice and told him that me and another nurse would walk with him because his balance seemed to be getting worse. I could feel my heart sinking as I said that because I could feel that this wasn’t going to end well. And it didn’t. Just as he crossed the doorway from the resus room to the hall, he had a massive tonic-clonic seizure. I got to be the unlucky nurse close enough to catch him while avoiding being hit by his behemoth spastic arms. The doc came running and was all frantic when she asked me if he hit his head. I said no because I caught him just in time. “Are you kidding me? You CAUGHT him? He didn’t fall on you? Are you hurt?” Now I’m not exactly petit but I don’t look like I can catch a seizing man that size either. Patients came out of their rooms to see what the commotion was all about and my feat of superhuman strength was verified by them. Eventually six of us managed to lift him into a stretcher and start treating him for anticholinergic poisoning.

Moral of the story:
When nauseated, start by taking one PILL of gravol, not one BOTTLE.
Strength training has benefits beyond being a tool to be really really ridiculously good looking!

18 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Why is always the Big Ones who fall into our arms !~! Good catch. I am impressed.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Maybe you should start wearing a cape to work!

StorytellERdoc said...

Love your morals of the story...still cracking up here over one PILL vs. one BOTTLE! I've learned not to sign up for extra shifts, I enjoy that time at home much better...

Hope you are well.
Jim

Thatgirl said...

Sounds impressive, and heavy...

RehabRN said...

Whoa! That is too nuts. You are one brave woman.

I gotta get back to my weight training. Heaving people around is killing my upper body.

RehabRN said...

I wouldn't normally double post but the word verification was too appropriate: fatigens. ;->

Community RN said...

Brave woman! I would have let him hit the floor!

And I think the moral of the story is not to take extra shifts :)!

xx
C. Rn

Albinoblackbear said...

Hahah, nicely done! You got off lucky though, not toasting your back in the process. =)

Best piece of advice from my (hero) nursing instructor: when offered an extra shift tell them you'll call them back, go into the bathroom, look in the mirror and say to yourself, "do I really want to do this shift?"

If you can look yourself in the eye and say, "YES" then take it.

Otherwise...

Anonymous said...

Hahaha oh dear Maha. I can't believe that guy was carrying a bottle of gravol with him. Must get nauseated often.

Hope your muscles are feeling better after some Tylenol and sleep!

OMDG said...

Very very impressive Maha. If this had happened to me as a med student, I'm sure I would have a) failed to catch him, and then b) been yelled at for not getting out of the way when I was found pinned under him.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it is safer to assume every patient is an idiot and tell them that it is unsafe to take more than the dosage prescribed. Although I guess someone as dumb as that guy probably wouldn't listen anyway.

Adrian said...

Maharani,

You are hilarious!

Glad I stumbled upon your blog.

You have me in stitches.........

The Nerdy Nurse said...

well if 1 works, then surely a whole bottle will REALLY work. Right?

rental mobil said...

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Great info... Will share, it so deserves too!!!

Clinical Medicine MRCP 2 Sanjay Sharma

Unknown said...

It is great post to read. Thanks for sharing.

http://benthamsciencepublishers.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

I never found such a great and amazing content and fabulous solution to my problem.......really giving a different idea in applying ideas in planning a systematic way. thank you !

Usmle Tutor

Unknown said...

Here are the simple steps to add an email address to your Hotmail contacts
Hotmail sign in

Hotmail login

Sign in to hotmail

Recover hotmail password

Create hotmail account

Strike Force Heroes is a new game action-packed shooter from the creators of Raze; with 3 game modes, 15 campaign missions and over 65 weapons.
Strike Force Heroes | Strike Force Heroes 2 | Strike Force Heroes 3 | Strike Force Heroes 4

Slitherio | LEARN TO FLY

Tank Trouble is a very interesting flash game about tanks, about war and about destruction
TANK TROUBLE | TANK TROUBLE 2 | TANK TROUBLE 3

Hotmail is known as the first email service in the world which is provided by Microsoft. Similar to Email accounts of Google or Yahoo, Hotmail is provided to users free of charge with easy account creation and high security.
hotmail sign up | log in to hotmail | hotmail review | close hotmail account | create a hotmail account