Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Emerging Dazed and Confused from the Land of Night Shifters

“Dude! I thought you were like dead or married or something! Where have you been?”

Thus I was greeted by one of my more colourful friends when I ventured out in the afternoon for lunch after working 7 nights in 9 days. How do I feel after this (mostly) self inflicted torture? Let’s just say, off. Usually I like to work nights but this time it has been particularly vile because I have been denied my nap during breaks. Due to ongoing construction, the ER nursing lounge is inaccessible, which means that the lousy nap chairs from yester-year are also inaccessible. Without a nap I’m a terrible nurse. I can’t get IVs in, I can’t collect blood samples, the thought of having to catheterize a little old broken hip lady induces terrible sobs of anguish and people asking me ‘how much longer until I see the doctor?’ makes me seethe with uncontrollable, mouth foaming, profanity hurling, stretcher kicking rage. In a moment of shocking desperation, I think I actually fell asleep while trying to get a history from a psych patient. Perhaps Santa will reward us lowly nurses with a decent lounge and some spare stretchers or couches? Unbloody likely.

In any case, I learned that after waking up entirely disoriented and slightly scared at having seen sunlight for the first time in a week, it is best not to acclimatize to the day time world by trolling in a mall full of herds of bewilderbeasts frantically looking for presents. At least lunch was delicious and fun!

13 comments:

midwest woman said...

wow..naps???? that's an unemployment check in the good old us of a.
merry christmas, maha. :)

Rachael said...

wow. the ER I used to work in didn't have a nurses' lounge. the nurses didn't have breaks. Of course, no one (including myself) who worked in the ER had breaks, except the doctors.

ERP said...

I like the term "bewilderbeasts". I plan on using it!

StorytellERdoc said...

Wow...7 overnights in 9 days! I have 3 overnights over New Years and I'm already nervous! The older I get, the longer it takes me to recover! I hope they get that construction done soon at your place!

Happy Holidays.

GingerJar said...

Wow...power-naps..I used to get those in our report office on my break where I used to work...cell-phone is an awsome alarm clock...but power naps have been discouraged every other place I've worked. Power-nap = pink-slip.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Did you have Doritos with your Thai lunch?

Maha said...

Thanks for the holiday wishes midwest and storytellERdoc! Midwest, please open your blog up again, I miss reading it!

Rachel - The only good thing our union has done is to guarantee a thoroughly restless break. I plan on exploiting it fully.

ERP - feel free to use the term anytime!

Dr. G - who DOESN'T eat doritos with thai food?

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Maha- Because I think you are awesome I have added you my blogroll.

midwest woman said...

up and running, maha, just click on my name...new and improved like a box of tide. :)

Anonymous said...

Maha:

Yes, unions are it. In our state in the good ol'US, sleeping (even on your break) can mean the dreaded pink slip and a nice censure from the good ol SBON (who hasn't worked a night in centuries).

For the feds, if you use only your personal time for that power nap, it's no biggie...as long as another RN covers your people...and someone wakes you up.

therapydoc said...

Mmmmmm, sunlight.

Anonymous said...

im in the good ol USA as well in the ICU and we have a serenity room in the ICU basically a closet with a chair behind the nurses station. If someone watches your patient you can nap 15-30 minutes but u can still hear the alarms and are at arms reach if needed. This is rare but the nap is nice if u can get it.

Victor said...

The thing you're writing is a big blunder.
sildenafil UK | sildenafil online | vardenafil Online