Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Uptown Girl is Admitted to a Downtown World

There I was having just finished transferring some dude on some overdose to the ICU when the charge nurse tells me that she’s bringing in an exquisitely coiffed 71 year old lady with congestive heart failure. Soon enough I hear the crackles of wet lungs being wheeled towards me and I get ready to do my thang. The lady was quite pleasant, if not a bit snooty and started to change out of her very expensive street clothes into her own silk/cashmere robe by none other than Chanel (yes, I think I did quadruple takes at that). I did my assessment, got an ECG, established IV access, got the blood work done, put her on some oxygen, got a chest x-ray ordered for her and told the doc to come in and see her. The poor doc was getting into the stages of being heavily pregnant and was completely overwhelmed by an anxious family of a man with a shoulder dislocation. She gave me some orders to kick start my patient’s care and off I went to deliver some high quality nursing care. I told the patient that the doctor would be a little while but I got some advanced orders so she could be more comfortable. The lady thanked me as I pushed in some IV lasix. Sure enough she had to pee. I didn’t put in a catheter because she was completely ambulatory, the bathroom was beside her bed and she adamantly refused it. But she didn’t like the look of the newly cleaned bathroom so she asked for it to be cleaned again for her own reassurance while she insisted on staying in agony with a full bladder. I kept telling her that the bathroom has been thoroughly cleaned before she came in and if she has to pee that badly she should go for it! Watching her squirm made me want to pee even though I was thoroughly dehydrated. She kept refusing. Fine, whatevs. She kept squirming while the cleaner poured no name brand Lysol into the bucket. Then all of a sudden, she wailed. Then sobbed. Finally, she yelled at me to come to her bed. I dutifully unglued my tired arse from the comfy chair and went to answer her distressed cries which was when she took out $700 from her wallet and shoved it at me to go to her apartment, get her a new gown, underwear and toiletries!! A week later, I’m continuing to kick myself for not having ditched the smelly, snoring drunk in the room next door and grabbing a cab to get her stuff because I still need the money but don’t want to pick up another shift!

15 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

sometimes it just don’t pay to be ethical and honest, does it ?~? feeling your pain.

RehabRN said...

Wow! I know more than a few of my coworkers who would have run out in a heartbeat for $700.

The rich are interesting characters. They also expect more than you think for all that money.

Makes you wonder why didn't she just call any friends or household help?

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Wow, is all I can say. You did the right thing.

minimedic said...

I think I did home care for her sister in the States. The rich are an interesting breed, indeed.

Melissa said...

Holy shite. $700 to be her errand girl? I'd have been sorely tempted as well.

Anonymous said...

What a pain in the ass she was!

Laney said...

Wow that's crazy! Good on you though.
:)

Sparkles! said...

Wow! That's all I can say!

muebles cuenca said...

This will not have effect as a matter of fact, that's what I suppose.

this site said...

She's been living in her uptown world
I bet she's never had a backstreet guy I bet her momma never told her why I'm gonna try for an uptown girl
She's been living in her white bread world As long as anyone with hot blood can And now she's looking for a downtown man.

Carson Fuller said...

Thanks for the great blog with information. We are a Park Plaza Dental Specialties dentist that is trying to shape out if we should start a blog. Not sure if clients (or anyone) would be involved.

Anneke Sergio said...

I was a victim of weak erection and premature ejaculation,for the
past 4 years,and for this past 4 years my life was horrible,one day i saw a
post of a man being cured by a Doctor, called Dr Imoloa,so i contact him
and i get the cure from him,and my 4 years disaster and pains were like a
dreams so if you have this problem of weak erection and premature
ejaculation he also have cure for lupus disease, corneal ulcer, polio disease,
Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy,joint pain,
fetal alcohol spectrum, schizophrenia, lichen planus, cancer, diabetes, asthma syphilis, and many more... you can contact Dr Imoloa for help,Email drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatssapp +2347081986098.
-

Anneke Sergio said...

I was a victim of weak erection and premature ejaculation,for the
past 4 years,and for this past 4 years my life was horrible,one day i saw a
post of a man being cured by a Doctor, called Dr Imoloa,so i contact him
and i get the cure from him,and my 4 years disaster and pains were like a
dreams so if you have this problem of weak erection and premature
ejaculation he also have cure for lupus disease, corneal ulcer, polio disease,
Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy,joint pain,
fetal alcohol spectrum, schizophrenia, lichen planus, cancer, diabetes, asthma syphilis, and many more... you can contact Dr Imoloa for help,Email drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatssapp +2347081986098.
-

mybkexperience said...

I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
An excellent blog.
Great work!

Anonymous said...

We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use eggs. I know we have to go abroad. I was terrified. I didn't know where to go and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended Dr Itua  to me from western Africa  I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country but I well know they have powerful gifts on herbal medicines and I was afraid because of the language barrier. Anyway she convinced me to give a try. She told me that Dr Itua can also cure my prostate cancer which gives me more motivation to give a try to Dr Itua herbal center medicines. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices which I ordered two four bottles and I drank it as instructed and everything went well. My prostate cancer is gone. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses natural herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. We contacted Dr Itua and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple.  Dr Itua was so confident and hopeful he projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua herbal Cure . Don’t be afraid and just do it! 
Dr Itua can cure the following diseases:Sickle Cell,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Cancer,Autism,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease,  Doctor Itua Contact    Email:    drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  Or Whats-App Chat : +2348149277967