Sunday, July 18, 2010

Signature Drink at Last!

I was recently in a dilly of a pickle because I decided to give up my Starbucks addiction and could not think of alternatives. After a month or so of experimenting with different beverages during my shifts, I have to say that lychee pear green tea with honey has slowly earned its way into my heart and most importantly, my gut! I like that if it’s a mind numbingly hot, humid and hazy day, I can throw in some ice cubes and voila – it’s ICED lychee pear green tea! A close second for night shifts is a strawberry banana smoothie with pineapple juice – keeps me filled up and keeps the night shift bloaties at bay. The great thing is that I can buy a huge box of tea and honey and leave it at work so it’s a lot cheaper. The smoothie requires some planning ahead but worth the time. I’ll still visit Starbucks and get myself an iced coffee occasionally but our relationship has cooled considerably. My beverage choices are earning me some strange looks from the diehard caffeine addicts but the peace and calm of my GI system is far too great for me to care. Oh how grand my troubles have been…

6 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Probably cheaper than Diet Coke, too.

RehabNurse said...

Maha:

I'm still a coffee junkie, but I've added fruit-flavored herbal iced tea to the drink mix. Bubba loves it, so I have an excuse to make extra and drink it myself.

Grumpy:

I doubt many flavored teas are cheaper than Diet Coke, but it's always fun to pick your poison.

C said...

I'd take a root canal over GI upset, at least you can get local anesthetic for a root canal.

Good for you!

Smoothies are a favorite around my house too. Those no sugar added frozen fruits in the freezer section at your grocery store are amazing!

Anonymous said...

http://kathleenlrr.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/whole-wheat-pear-lychee-green-tea-muffins/
something else to go with your nice tea....

Halie said...

I recently gave up coffee too. Proud of you for finding a tea to meet your cravings. Looking forward to trying lychee pear green tea!

ERP said...

How much HFCS in that?