Thursday, June 17, 2010

I’m BACK!

My little stay-cation was wonderful in every aspect except in length. However, I went back to work in great spirits, ready to embody compassion of such magnitude that Mother Teresa would stop to admire me. That lasted about two hours into my first shift. I was first met by Dr. Lazy who asked if I could write down the patient’s history on the chart and he’d sign it so he could do some online shopping instead. Yeaahhh no. A few hours after, I was accosted by a drug seeker who asked me to convince the doctor about the merits of writing her a prescription for a year’s supply of narcotics including fentanyl patches. Her reasoning was that if she had a huge supply of narcotics she wouldn’t come bugging us quite as often which would make all of our lives easier. I was quite impressed that she realized her behaviour was annoying to the staff but my fondness withered away when I snapped back into my senses and had to tell her that it wasn’t going to happen in this lifetime. Oh drug seekers how you manage to provide me anecdotes I can use for bitching! It’s good to be back!

5 comments:

Angela said...

well she gets point for creativity at least!!

xx
Jaxs

StorytellERdoc said...

Maha

Welcome Back...

"That lasted about two hours into my first shift." I'm still laughing my ass off over that. I, too, struggle those first few days back--hell, the first few hours. It's not long before that old feeling that you've never even been away creeps back in...

Glad it was a good staycation, though...much needed, I'm sure.

Thanks for the laughs here today.

S said...

Sigghhh, you get all kinds of Kudos for not telling "medicine deficient" lady to pack sand.

Welcome back.

WV-leacura (translate into leach?)

The Future Missy Prissy RN said...

Welcome Back!!!

Unknown said...

Hi, I just came across your blog and wow, you are a new RN and got your first job in the ED? Good for you! In my state theres a law against new nurses joining the ED